Hello everyone! My name is Olga, and I am 56 years old. I’m a passionate cook and baker who has been volunteering at LOV for over 10 years now. I initially started volunteering to pay off my bingo ticket, but I ended up staying on board as a volunteer at LOV thanks to Donna Sisk's encouragement.
I’ve had a difficult journey outside of LOV and have sometimes relied on a food bank for assistance. However, I found that sometimes, I didn't know what to do with the food items I received, and I didn't want them to go to waste. To help others facing the same problem, I created recipes using some of the common foods found in food pantries. My goal is to make dishes more enjoyable and easy to make by utilizing these ingredients in simple recipes.
I believe that with my help, others facing the same problem can now create delicious and easy dishes using these ingredients.
Mac and Cheese Waffles
1 box of Macaroni & Cheese, prepared according to package instructions
1 cup of shredded cheese (I use colby jack)
Preheat the waffle iron on high.
Spray the waffle iron with non-stick spray.
Place approximately 1 cup of prepared mac & cheese on the waffle iron.
Top with shredded cheese.
Close the lid but do not force it closed all the way. This keeps the waffle from drying out.
Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the waffle is light brown.
Allow the waffle to cool a bit before removing it to set.
Serve with your favorite protein. Enjoy!
Fried Chicken Strips
· 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch thick strips
· 1 cup all-purpose flour
· ½ cup cornstarch
· 1 tablespoon salt
· 1 tablespoon pepper
· Cold water
· Oil for frying
1. In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
2. Add enough cold water to make a batter.
3. Place the chicken in the batter and set aside.
4. Heat about 2 inches of oil in a deep frying pan or skillet.
5. When the oil is hot, start adding the battered chicken strips to the skillet. Do not overcrowd.
6. Cook in the hot oil until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
7. Remove the chicken strips from the skillet with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
8. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!